Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture?
One of the main causes of a bed bug infestation is bringing infested furniture into your property. This is more common than you may think. Thankfully, you can prevent an infestation by thoroughly checking the furniture before bringing it indoors.Three things you can do to prevent bed bugs in secondhand furniture are:
- Avoid buying upholstered used furniture.
- Inspect all items you buy.
- Never bring in free furniture from the curb!
How to Check Used Furniture for Bed Bugs
If you have decided to buy used furniture, there are several things you can do to ensure it’s not infested with bed bugs!
- Look for small black spots or even blood dots. This is a top indicator of bed bug activity, whether they’re active or not.
- Always check the undersides and cracks of tables, shelves, bed frames, and other furnishings.
- Look in furniture joints, seams, creases, crevices, cracks, voids, and more. They’ve even been known to hide in screw holes and more.
- If you see anything suspicious, don’t take the risk and avoid bringing the furniture into your home!
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Likelihood of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture
Not all used furniture has bed bugs! People all around the country buy second hand furniture that is completely safe and bed bug-free. However, many people will donate furniture from a past bed bug infestation. If you want to buy second hand furniture, it’s simply best practice to thoroughly inspect all items before bringing them into your home.
Can You Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture?
If you found a piece of second hand furniture that is infested, it’s important to let the seller or store owner know. While some may offer refunds, it’s up to the seller. If you’re wishing to salvage the piece of furniture even with bed bugs, it’s best to consult a professional on the best way to get rid of the bugs. Always leave the infested furniture outdoors to avoid bugs getting into your property.