Buying a Home with Termite Damage on Long Island
People can be understandably wary of purchasing a home with a history of termites. However, it is generally considered safe to do so. As long as there are no active infestations and proper precautions have been taken, homes with a termite history aren’t any more susceptible to future infestations than others.
A WDI Report conducted by a licensed pest control professional can tell you the full extent of the home’s history with termites.
Can I Sell My Home If It Had Termites?
It may make it more difficult to sell your home if termites caused structural damage at some point in its past, but yes, homes with extensive termite histories are sold every day. As long as you’re upfront about the infestations, there’s no issue with this. Buyers may then ask for additional inspections, treatments, or repairs to be sure they’re making a sound investment.
Termite damage can jeopardize your home sale if you attempt to conceal that part of your home’s history. Don’t even try – a WDI Report conducted by a trained pest control expert will reveal everything.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Tips for Buying a Home with Termite Damage
You’ve found the home of your dreams—only to learn it once had a termite problem. Thankfully, that’s no reason to panic. There are several things you can do to ensure your investment is sound:
- Obtain a WDI Report that will uncover any evidence of past, present, or possible future infestations
- If damage is found, you may be able to negotiate costs with the seller to cover treatment and repair expenses
- Always ask the seller for any infestation history in case the WDI Report missed something
- If a home has significant structural damage or active termites, it’s up to the buyer to decide whether or not they want to still purchase it
- As long as past infestations have been taken care of, there’s no need to let a history of termites stop you from purchasing the property
Buying Homes with Termite Damage on Long Island
Just as with any property, the key to avoiding termite damage is regular preventative maintenance. Team up with a professional termite exterminator who can tell you everything you need to know about risk factors – and strategies for exclusion.
Preventative maintenance makes the process easier for everyone involved when it comes time to buy or sell your home.