Does Anything Keep Bed Bugs Away?
Bed bugs are one of the most frustrating pest problems because it’s hard to know how you got them, and there aren’t really any reliable prevention methods. Quite simply, if you go to a location that’s already infested with bed bugs and they choose to hitch a ride with you, they can be awfully difficult to stop.
The best way to keep bed bugs away is to know how infestations start, and to stay vigilant:
- Know what the signs of bed bugs look like (spots on furniture, etc)
- Be wary of buying used items
- Be cautious when traveling
- Take precautions at home
How to keep bed bugs away on Long Island
To keep you and your family or employees safe from the threat of bed bugs, it’s important to understand the common scenarios that can lead to a bed bug infestation:
- Traveling and/or staying in a bed bug infested hotel
- Buying used furniture or clothing
- Hosting someone who lives in a college dorm
In any of these scenarios, as long as you’re aware of the possibility beforehand you can take extra precautions.
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Preventing a bed bug infestation
Bed bugs will not just come into your house on their own. You or someone else must bring them inside. With that in mind, knowing which scenarios represent heightened bed bug risk can allow you to prevent a bed bug infestation:
- Learn where and how to check your home for potential bed bug problems
- Vacuum frequently and thoroughly
- Reduce clutter in your home to reduce potential hiding spots
- Be careful if using shared laundry facilities or laundromats
Bed bug prevention 101
If you’ve been traveling, have a college student coming home for the holidays, or are considering buying a piece of used furniture, you need to be aware that you’re at increased risk for bed bug infestation.
As long as you understand the risks, you’re ahead of most people when it comes to bed bug prevention. And if you do happen to get an infestation, contact your local bed bug exterminator as soon as possible to prevent it from getting much worse.