Do-It-Yourself Pest Control: Does It Really Work?
Do-It-Yourself pest control solutions want you to think it’s easy, and a great way to save some cash. But DIY pest control carries substantial risk also. Pesticides are dangerous chemicals that can harm you, your family, or your pets if you’re not careful. In fact, there are numerous reasons to leave your residential pest control to the experts.
What Are the Risks?
Treat all pesticides seriously. Read and follow all instructions to the letter. Careless use of pesticides is the most common cause of illness and injury from pest control. Using electrical equipment also puts your safety at risk, especially if you’re not trained in proper handling techniques. Yes, even bug zappers can be extremely dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. Indoor use of pesticides is also incredibly dangerous even when you think you have proper ventilation. There’s also a possibility that the pests you’re trying to exterminate will become angry and sting or bite you.
In addition to health and safety concerns, DIY pest control also makes it way too easy to shatter your yard’s delicate ecosystem. For example, overuse or incorrect use of pesticides risks killing off beneficial insects that are needed for balance.
Chemicals in Pesticides
Pesticide exposure can have a range of adverse health risks, even when used correctly. Many pest control chemicals have the potential to cause environmental contamination. Neglectful pesticide can leech hazardous chemicals into the water and soil and even poison the air inside your home. To avoid accidents like these, only apply the recommended amount. Never use extra pesticide because you believe it’s needed to get the job done.
To protect yourself and those around you, pesticides should be kept away from food and water supplies. They should also be stored in a place that’s out of reach of children. If spraying pesticides inside a home, it’s crucial to ensure there is enough ventilation.
Use Personal Protective Equipment
Always wear protective clothing and gloves when handling pesticides so it doesn’t come in contact with your skin. If using aerosolized pesticides, use an N95 or better face mask. You should also wear protective equipment like eye goggles when you are working in areas where there might be pests or rodents. Also, clean up any messes left behind by pests or it may attract more pests.
Pregnant women and young children should avoid entering areas where pesticides have been used.
What If It Doesn’t Work?
One of the most frustrating risks of DIY pest control, once you get past health and safety concerns, is that your efforts won’t solve the problem. Imagine spending all that money and time and exposing yourself to harmful chemicals only to find that the pests haven’t gone away–or they return in a short time.
That won’t happen if you call a professional exterminator. A trained specialist will know exactly where to look and how to eliminate all of your pests and their eggs. In the long run, that saves you time, money and a whole lot of peace of mind.
Pest Control You Can Trust
So many DIY projects around the house can save you money and even make for a rewarding experience, but pest control is not one of them. DIY pest control carries substantial risk and it’s always better to turn to a professional with experience and training. Arrow Exterminating is proud to provide fast, effective and safe pest control services in Lynbrook. We’ve proudly served Long Island for over 75 years and look forward to continuing to serve you for the next 75.
Got a pest control problem? Contact us today for a free assessment!