How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Long Island?
If you’re having a new home built, it’s wise to begin termite prevention right away. By treating the soil and materials, you can create a safeguard against termites early on.
To prevent termites when constructing a new building, builders will often work with professional pest control companies. In doing so, termites can be prevented before, during, and after the property is built!
How Can You Prevent Termites When Building?
Subterranean termites, which are the most common termites here in Long Island, need contact with the soil to thrive. This makes it important to treat the soil when building a new property. To create a barrier against termites, the following methods can be done when building a home:
- Treat the soil to form a chemical barrier.
- Use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Build the home in such a way to create proper drainage, best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, be wary of keeping wood above ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Use a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build which can help block entry points.
- Limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensure the new home receives proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How to Prevent Termites in New Homes in Long Island
Even if you have a home built with precautions already set, it remains important to get regular inspections and preventative services. This includes eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or rotten sources of wood, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground. The best defense against termites in your new home is working with a professional termite exterminator such as Arrow Exterminating.